Friday, August 26, 2011

Currently

Franny and Zooey
J.D. Salinger

Pages read this week: 103
Last Week: none :(

Sentences of the Week:
1. "I'm sick of just liking people. I wish to God I could meet somebody I could respect..."
I loved when Franny said this to her boyfriend, Lane, face because it showed that if she doesn't respect anyone, she definitely doesn't respect him or therefore love him. Her true feelings are coming out.

2. "Christ lived on cheeseburgers and Coke, for all we know."
In a conversation between a mother and son, the mother, Bessie, obviously has no faith. I found it ironic that a mom trying to counsel her son about his future would have no religion. Normally parents base their teachings off of morals and religious beliefs, this is some different king of mom. She's a heavy smoker as well.

3."It was rather as though, after being in make-shift wet dock for days, the Queen Mary had just sailed out of, say, Walden Pond, as suddenly and perversely as she had sailed in."
I like how the author compares the mother to an obnoxious cruise boat. She's also kind of wide too which matches. And the conversation between her son happened while his was taking a bath, the metaphor all makes sense.









No comments:

Post a Comment