Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Franny and Zooey

So I'm more than half way through my book Franny and Zooey, but this is my first time blogging about it because I joined the class late. However I am so stinking glad I switched classes, I love being able to read whatever I want and to have the freedom to reflect about any aspect of my book. Oh and Mr. Hill is legit.
Anyways, my book is written by J.D. Salinger and I'm kind of in love with his writing. I loved Catcher in the Rye and now I'm really starting to enjoy this new book.  In some of his literary works, Salinger writes about a peculiar family, the Glass family.  In the first section of the book, the narrator is a Glass daughter named Franny. She travels to visit her boyfriend of a year at college and not but 30 minutes into her visit, I can tell what their relationship is really like. Lane, her boyfriend, is a egotistical, pompous, and rude genius. On the other hand, Franny seems like the more quiet and reserved person but inside she is bursting to share her real frustrations. Repeatedly during their dinner date, Lane cut Franny off, bragged about his studies and accomplishments, and criticized Franny. At first Franny took this behavior and accepted it like she normally does and often apologized for her unacceptable behavior. Soon enough her frustrations about her education and the materialistic society she observes everyday caused her to lash out at Lane and even made herself sick.
Reading this offensive and obnoxious interactions between a boyfriend and girlfriend caused me to take a step back and look at what type of character I am in relationships. Am I the loud friend who's so concerned with myself that others can't even speak? Or am I the shy observer dying for attention and ready to burst at any moment. Well lucky for you, I'm definitely neither of these choices. However, I can see aspects of these characters in myself during certain situations. For example, when I'm in an argument with anyone, I love to be the person that's right like Lane. I know its wrong of me but sometimes I'm so concerned with getting my thoughts out that I don't pay attention to the other side of the story. Along with that, when Franny tried to defend herself, she went out of her way to make herself seem like the better person. She always felt sorry for herself as well, and criticized her deprived society to boost her self-esteem. I wouldn't say that I do that, but I again have a problem with always trying to be right or having the better say in disagreements. It's nice to read books like these that show extreme behaviors of characters and how ridiculous that seem, especially when these characters can remind you of yourself.


No comments:

Post a Comment