Thursday, September 22, 2011

Panic

The one thing I've noticed every time I start to read 102 Minutes is that somehow I tense up. Well of course this happens because the book is written in a style that makes you relive those 102 minutes while getting the full inside story. I'm one of those people that gets really into books and movies because I put myself into certain situations given. That's why I can't get through Titanic without sobbing; it's hard imaging thousands of lives lost due to one accident. However, I think this is kind of a cool quality about me. Putting myself into the roles of characters I watch or read makes my literary experience much more exciting and real.
I can't even imagine what I would do in a high-stressful situation like this. I already stress and worry way too much that I think I would just freeze up. Luckily, and for many victims' advantage, my adrenaline would kick in and allow me to make quick judgment actions to get myself to safety. This reminds me of a time this summer when we ran into a little bit of trouble at the pool (remember I lifeguard). While I was on my shift guarding the baby pool, there was a birthday party cookout nearby in the eating area. As I'm sitting there watching siblings tackle each other and cute little kids float around in a floaty as big as them, I see the grill catch on fire. My natural reaction was to run over to help. However, I couldn't abandon my shift and I had to trust that the other lifeguards would follow the pool's safety procedures. It turns out the fire was only a small grease fire and was extinguished fairly easily. It's really nice to know that I work at a place that had particular safety protocols, especially since safety in our number one concern. Thinking of that instance makes me realize just how important protocols are along with making smart choices in fast-moving situations. If only 9/11 could have been fixed that easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment