Monday, October 31, 2011

My Sister's Keeper

So I've decided to continue to be nice to myself and read a book again that I already read about 2 years ago. I remember I loved reading this book because of all the emotion behind the words; I also enjoyed reading from different perspectives (each chapter is written from the point of view of different characters, it created a lot of situational irony). I saw this movie in theaters with my sister, let's just say you could probably hear my sobbing from rows back. My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult is a story about a family's struggle to make the right choices with a dying daughter and another daughter created to save her.
I love how the book gets straight to the point from the beginning. The book doesn't really dance around your feelings, it hits subjects hard. In the first chapter, Anna, the younger sister, realizes at the young age of 13 that they only reason she was created was to save her sister. She was genetically developed to be a perfect match for her older sister Kate whenever there needed to be a donor of any sort. Anna's biggest struggle early in the book is trying to stick up for herself or even knowing the right choices to make.
In the beginning, Anna visits a lawyer to learn about gaining medical ownership of her body from her parents. It's crazy to think that a 13 year old girl has to face this struggle, and on top of that feel the need to fight this battle alone enough to visit a lawyer.

No comments:

Post a Comment